Housing selection at Brown University is unique; the students on Residential Council have designed the process in collaboration with the Office of Residential Life. Our Housing Lottery gives you maximum flexibility with the greatest ease of selection possible. It also features a number of alternatives to the Lottery such as Program Houses and Greek Houses. The best advice for this process is to gather as much information as possible so that you will be able to make informed decisions. Read this website, keep realistic expectations, and plan ahead!
This website contains all policy and procedure for the Lottery. On the Residential Council website you will find advice, past Lottery results and the Lottery Application. On the days of Lottery, the Residential Council Website will also feature the live lottery broadcast.
An overview of the housing selection process:
- Are you considering joining a Greek or Program House? Recruitment ends on Super Deadline Day (see the Residential Calendar).
- Students in Program and Greek houses, students placed pre-lottery through the SEAS or the RPL/MPC program, off campus, and those going abroad do not participate in the Housing Lottery.
- Did you know that you can probably keep your current room for next year? Check our squatting policy to see if you qualify.
- You may enter the Lottery in a group of one to twelve students. In the Lottery, your group may pick any combination of rooms, but for one person in the group to pick housing, all members of the group must pick housing.
- Once you have your group, fill out our online application, and you are in the Lottery! You will be assigned a Lottery number based on the average of the individual priority numbers of those in your group. Lottery numbers will be called in order, and each group will have the opportunity to select housing.
- If you do not receive housing during the Lottery, you must enter the Summer Assignment Process.
If you have any questions about the Housing Lottery, please feel free to post on Residential Council's forum or to contact the Office of Residential Life by email at Res_Life@brown.edu or by visiting the office in North Wayland. We are here to assist you in any way we can. Good luck!